Protective styles on locs or natural hair, is a great way to keep your hair protected from damage, while promoting stronger, longer natural hair. The flat twist is a simple, yet versatile natural hairstyle that can be done in the form of small twists or larger ones, depending your taste.
How I Did Flat Twist on My Locs
The longer my dreads are getting, it becomes much easier to do a variety of protective hairstyles such as the flat twist. This style usually last me for a week. The steps are really simple. Here are the steps I used to achieve my natural flat twist on my locs.
- I start off with clean locs. If your hair is not due for a wash just yet, but it’s not feeling clean, you can use a herbal cleanse dry shampoo to refresh your your scalp and hair.
- I applied a natural hair moisturizer to my dreads and evenly distributed it throughout my hair, paying special attention to the ends. You don’t want the tips of your locs to be crispy and dry.
- Separate each section of your hair that you will be doing the flat twist on. As you can see, I did mine in big sections. There are five rows in my hairstyle.
- Separate the section/row of locs that you are working on, into two sections. Grasp both sections and start by overlapping each section of locs over the other, while twisting it close to the scalp.
- Continue twisting in this pattern until you reach to the ends. I didn’t twist mine all the way to the ends. I used a black rubber band to secure each twist.
- Twist the other rows using the same technique you used in the above illustration, until all your locs are flat twisted.
- Use a hair elastic to secure the ends of your locs, pulled back to the nape of your neck.
Daily Maintenance of Your Flat Twist
To keep your natural protective hairstyle in place, simply spritz it with some natural oils mixed with water, daily.
Night Time Prep for Flat Twist
Tie your dreads at night to keep your flat twist looking neat for the next few days. It is recommended that you tie your hair with a silk scarf before going to sleep. Some people say that they achieve the same results when they use a satin scarf.